Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I can't fill my 2013 with gas ... the gas nozzle will not…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl ... I...

Hi Pearl ... I can't fill my 2013 with gas ... the gas nozzle will not seal completely and therefore will not pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No prob with mpg and starts fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '13 Ford?

Focus platinum capless tank

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing so far I want to be able to fill my tank so i can get home

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
9/14/2017
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 1 year ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Does the gas pump nozzle go into the fuel filler neck?

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate . Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Does the gas pump nozzle go into the fuel filler neck? Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate . Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'M GOING TO INCUR AN ADDITIONAL CHARGE FOR A PHONE CALL?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the gas pump nozzle does go into the filler neck

You do not have to accept the phone call. It is an ad from the web site.

Ok. Just to be certain, have you tried a different pump?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this appears to be a scam. was hoping someone could provide insight as to why i cannot put gas in my 2013 Ford Focus
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
tried two pumps
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
at two different stations

Ok. Does the fuel even start to flow into the car then shut off? And each time you try it keeps doing that?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no fuel is flowing from the nozzle at all

Ok. That is usually due to pressure remaining in the fuel tank because it has not vented the system to allow fuel to flow in. Ford does have a service bulletin on this issue for the focus. There is a fresh air vent hose that can become clogged with debris or even spider nests and cause the system not to vent. That would be the first thing that should be checked.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok so i will not be able to get gas in the tank

It is not a gaurentee. But at the very least if you want to try and vent your tank to see if that is the problem you can try disconnecting a line under the hood that should release the tank to atmosphere.

Also, have you tried just barely putting the nozzle into the car? So the pump can not detect any pressure and maybe it will take some fuel.

There also is a funnel in the rear of the car by the spare tire. You can try installing the funnel into the filler neck and putting some gas in that way. If the gas is not going down with the funnel inserted then you could even have a blockage in the filler neck. I have seen peoples tanks be tampered with to try and syphon gas out of the capless systems to only get something stuck in there.

Did you try the funnel or hold the nozzle out to get some fuel in?