Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ron, have an 84 E350 with the hot vapor set up on a dual…

Customer Question
Hi Ron, have an 84...
Hi Ron, have an 84 E350 with the hot vapor set up on a dual tank system. Guy I bought it from punched the vapour diverter out so fuel could flow. It returns too much fuel to tank though and carb starves. I bought a new diverter valve but now carb gets no fuel at all? I jumped the oil pressure line off the starter solenoid and get fuel to the diverter, but won't flow through the valve to carb?? Any ideas?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 5 days by:
9/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 10 months ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

do you mean the tank switching valve??

diverter valve is in the emission side of the motor. just want to clarify terminology

Roy

Hi . . . no, it's a vapor return or T valve located in line just in front of the fuel inlet on the carb. Think they called it a "hot fuel" option... basically it returns fuel to tank on a return line to keep cool gas flowing to carb, reducing vapor lock (fuel boiling).

ok, it is a vapor return not a fuel return.

the return line is on the fuel pump. it should be a 3 line pump. inlet from the tank, outlet to the carb and return to the tank.

that should not effect fuel flow to carb. that is controlled by the pump only.

the vapr line takes the vapors and puts them back in the tank. this was the beginning of emission controls in the 80's. they did not want to vent to atmosphere.

Well, kind of...wish this would allow me to attach a pic... says it's too big. Anyway, unit has lift pumps in tank, no mechanical pump on engine ...tanks are vented to atmosphere with a feed line and return line running to a selector valve on frame...so four lines running to selector valve (two tanks) and two lines running up to engine from the selector valve (one feed, one return). The feed line goes into this "vapour return valve" aka "T" valve and the return line is also attached to the thing...hence making it look like a T. There is no moving parts in this valve ...just a screen and a small ball bearing on the exit side to carb. I purchased a new one, can't blow through it so I presume it requires x amount of pressure to allow the fuel into carb? That would mean lift pumps are not putting out (I think) or perhaps not getting enough voltage (haven't checked that yet).
Was hoping you could answer pressure question. 1984 E350 XL with a 460. Thx.

is this fuel injected???

Nope...just feed an old Holly carb through that goofy valve. Guess they only used this set up for a couple years ....was supposed to stop vapour locking issues they were having ....then they went to EFI in mid 86.

ok, did not see any of these back then, sorry.

I will open it up for anyone of the other rv guys to see if there are any fossils like myself that saw this system

Roy

Thank you.
Think I'm going to eliminate all of it and just put fuel injection on her...thanks for trying.