Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My F350 6.4l diesel, year 2008, quit running, won't start.

Customer Question
My F350 6.4l diesel...

My F350 6.4l diesel, year 2008, quit running, won't start. Turn the key and nothing, not even a click. The PATS lock is flashing. It has been at a Ford dealer now for 3 weeks and all they tell me is that there is no communication between the PCM and the TCM. The truck recently had a cab-off repair, replaced the exhaust manifolds, then all the trouble started. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Steering wheel won't turn without the engine running. I tried both keys and went through the procedure to reset the PATS and that didn't work. It's at the dealer now, 90 miles away

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is at a Ford dealer for repair

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
9/14/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

You have 2 issues. If the theft light is flashing rapid with the key in the run position then the keys are not programmed to the PCM, there is a PATS component that is faulty, or the PCM is bad. It will not crank because the PCM is not seeing park or neutral from the TCM. All the power and ground wires to the TCM need to be checked then the communication wires from the PCM to TCM need to be checked. Most likely there is a wire damaged from the body off repair. Do you need wire diagrams to do these tests yourself?

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician