Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Battery relay message comes up. The battery was totally dead

Customer Question

Battery relay message comes up. The battery was totally dead yesterday and I had it jumped. Drove it after that. This AM it is dead again.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: No. I don't have one.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 13 Explorer
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I had AAA come yesterday and jump it. I just came back in from starting it today
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Since it was jumped and you were able to drive it after it was jumped this indicates the alternator is charging properly.The message you see is your computers turning off all unnecessary electronics to try and save the battery power to run what is needed to keep the engine running.It does this until the battery is dead.

I would have the battery tested and to be safe the alternator to see if either need replaced.A local parts store will do this for you at no charge to you.

If these are both found to be o.k. then you need to have a parasitic drain/draw test performed to see if there is an electronic stuck on or shorted out in your vehicle causing the battery to drain as the vehicle sits.This will require a multi meter to do this testing.If you would like the procedure on how to test this let me know.

One of these here though will be the cause needing repaired or replaced.I suspect a possible bad battery or drain.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete