Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

2008 Ford Taurus X Eddie Bauer -- car occasionally stalls

Customer Question

2008 Ford Taurus X Eddie Bauer -- car occasionally stalls when car comes to a stop, but (so far) starts right back up
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: The check engine light comes on AFTER the car stalls, not before. It has not stalled when driving, nor at idle.
JA: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have an appointment with Ford dealership in Travelers Rest, SC next Monday, but want to have a clue what is wrong with it -- I just got out of the hospital and 8 weeks of physical therapy, so am neither mobile or flush with $$$
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No -- car has 160,000+ miles on it by has been immaculately maintained
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I am Randall. This is a rather common problem, Its all about carbon buildup in the throttle body. Over time carbon builds up, then the throttle butterrfly can not seat itself and the computer then has hard time controlling idle especially when approaching a stop. This is a $5 fix if you do it or maybe around $25 like in our shop to do a throttle body cleaning. What the shop does or you can do? remove the air cleaner etc assembly to expose the throttle body. get a can of carb cleaner. Gently spray a little cleaner in the bore of the throttle body. Gum will run out, Slip the air cleaner back on, start engine, rev and blow out and do the same cleaning say 2-3 more times. Once it is clean? it will return to normal and not stall on stopping. If you do not want to do? I do not know all shop rates but our shop about $25 to clean the throttle body. Its a rather simple and common thing and needs to be done once per year. I have attached a picture showing the throttle body, You are cleaning the round bore of it with carb cleaner