Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

My 1989 Ford 150 steering whelel have lots of play at the

Customer Question

My 1989 Ford 150 steering whelel have lots of play at the steering wheel, how can I adjust it?
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: Not at this time till I talk to him.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Does yours have tilt steering wheel?

Does it feel like the play is at the steering wheel where it meets the steering column shaft, or more that the whole shaft is moving?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No ajustment for tilt steering wheel.
Play is at the steering wheel.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, give me a few minutes to pull the exploded diagram to see where any adjustment is, if there is any. It may be a worn out bearing or washer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Freddy Baker .....(###) ###-####
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, behind the steering wheel is a snap ring and upper bearing. See attached.

In almost all cases this is a worn upper bearing. You remove the horn pad, remove the steering wheel nut, use a steering wheel puller to pull of the steering wheel, then remove snap ring and slide the bearing off the shaft. install in reverse order

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I remove the pin and the bearing it looks in good condition. The movement play is like 6 to 7 in
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, lets back up a minute. I assumed you meant that the steering physically was loose at the steering shaft and moved.

Do you mean that the you can turn the steering wheel quite a bit before the wheels turn?

Otherwise, there is no way the steering wheel can move at the steering shaft 6-7". That would mean that the steering shaft is moving, not the steering wheel at the shaft, which is what I asked earlier

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
6 to 7 in back !
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

The movement play is like 6 to 7 in back

Can you clarify?

6 to 7 what? inches, mm, cm?

in back of what - steering wheel, steering shaft

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There must be a misunderstanding $5 and $23.00 been charge to my accounts. The problem haven't been fix. What's going on?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I willing to pay but the information you gave me did not fix my problem.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

I dont see or have any control over charges.

I am trying to help you but need clarification.

you stated movement is like 6 to 7 in back. That needs clarification

In back of what ???

6 to 7 What????

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you call me on the phone.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

Sorry, I am not in cellphone service where I am at. Only satellite internet service. I can opt out and see if another expert can call you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In back of the steering wheel. Is there a unversal joint behind about 6 to 7 in that where the play is . Steering wheel move side to side and up and down play.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

Only if it has tilt steering wheel. Otherwise it is a solid shaft

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The steering wheel move a lot like it should have tilt steering but there no adjustment nob or switch to adjust it to the right a judgment .
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

Ok, All I know to do is treat it as such. There is a large bearing assembly below the turn signal and light switches. I have attached the directions to tear it down to there. It may just need tightening or need replacement

Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.