Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 Ford Ranger 2.5L Speedometer stops working around 40…

Customer Question
2001 Ford Ranger 2.5L Speedometer stops...
2001 Ford Ranger 2.5L
Speedometer stops working around 40 mph.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/13/2017
Ford Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 11 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Is the check engine light on? Has anything been replaced? Thanks.

No check engine light and the speed sensor on the differential has been replaced.

Automatic or manual transmission?

Can we do a phone call tomorrow?
Manual transmission.

I'm fine with doing chat, website tries to push the phone call option

How system works is the speed sensor sends signal to the PCM then the PCM sends signal to the instrument cluster. IF problem was vehicle speed sensor or wiring between sensor and PCM check engine light would be on. And fact speedometer works up until 40 tells us wiring between PCM and instrument cluster should be fine leaving problem as PCM or instrument cluster. If you have a scantool that can read PCM data you can make sure PCM speed is correct, if so this would verify the instrument cluster as the problem. You can buy a used instrument cluster from ebay or www.car-parts.com just make sure mileage is about the same so it doesn't need to be reprogrammed. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help, thanks.

Ford Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 10 months ago

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.

DanWe have replaced the instrument cluster and the problem has not changed. The speedometer still will not work above 40 mph.Is the next step to replace the pcm with a rebuilt pcm? And do we need to have it programmed for this truck?

Yes it does appear PCM is the problem and it will need to be reprogrammed. Let me know how it goes, thnks. .