EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

My son was on his way to work and he called me and said that

Customer Question

My son was on his way to work and he called me and said that the wrench light came on and RPM gauge became erratic so he pulled into a drive and turned the ignition off. He restarted the engine and it idled normally, but when he placed it in gear, it will not move in reverse or drive.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: 2010 F150 No
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: He is waiting on a tow truck. He's in MS and I'm in CA,
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all I know at this point.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Your sons truck may just have a problem with the electronic throttle body. Which is fairly common. At this point that is just a best guess though. But since the wrench light came on, there will be a diagnostic code(s) stored in the vehicles computer. Those can be retrieved with a scan tool.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate . Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why would the throttle body effect the drivetrain? The engine will crank, idle and when in drive the rpms increase, but no power to the rear wheels.

If a problem with the throttle body exists the vehicle goes into a limp mode. But now that you mention the vehicle is not moving and rpms raising then that leads more to a transmission problem. Perhaps a sprung a tranny leak and the fluid level is low. That is why getting codes checked can help isolate which system is at fault.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why do the RPMs go up when he places it in gear?

How high are they going up?

Hi. Just checking in to see how you are doing and if you have made progress or need more info. If so just respond back. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.