Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The steering is extremely hard. We replaced the power

Customer Question
Hello! The steering...

Hello! The steering is extremely hard. We replaced the power steering pump but the steeringwheel is still hard. My vehicle is a 2004 Ford Freestar. Any recomendation?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the car's service manual? Does the car have airbags?

Yes we have the manual. Yes, it has the airbags.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Freestar yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, it is been fixed by our mechanic. They replaced the power steering pump, but it didn't work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Well, our mechanic checked the rack and pinion and it looks ok. Any way, the replacement of the pump had no effect at all. I am just trying to help them by looking for information. I don't know it this is a common problem or if there is something else that is not been done....

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/13/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 11 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Have the front steering and suspension components been checked to see if anything is worn which would make it hard for the wheels to turn left and right. If you hold the rpms at 2000, in park does the steering assist get better? Any odd noises coming from the pump?

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris