Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Need to reset the fuel pump, i ran out of gas when my son…

Customer Question
Need to reset the...

Need to reset the fuel pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Ford. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I ran out of gas when my son was driving it and when he went to put fuel in it thats when it wouldnt restart

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/13/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Can you tell me what your working on please, need the year , make and model please.

2013 ford explorer

Okay thank you for that. There is no reset that has to be reset when you run out of gas. When you cycle the key off and on do you hear the fuel pump cycle on?

is there an inertia

This system dose not use an inertia switch, all you should have to do is cycle the key off and on a few time and that would reset it. If you are hearing the pump cycle on then the system is already set. Did you try cycling it of and on a few time to purge any trapped air?

no

Can you try this , cycle the key off and on a few times and then crank it and see if it will then start.

Ok

Okay let me know the results and we can work from there if need be.

No luck

Okay if you hearing the pump cycle and its still not starting then you need to have the fuel pressure checked. It not uncommon for the pump to become damaged when ran with not fuel in the tank and if that is the case it will not produce the pressure needed to start the engine.