Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2000 Expedition that the AC compresssor quit

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Expedition that the AC compresssor quit running last week. All fuses and relays check out ok but there is no power showing to the actual plug in on the compressor
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Total shutdown
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Self repair..I started up top with checking fuses, relay, power to those junctions in the fuse box. All were good. The plug in however shows no power getting to the compressor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all I have. Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What liter engine is in your model here?

Has anything else been checked like the freon pressure at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's has a 4.6 in it. I have checked the high and low pressures and they are good. Also have checked the high pressure plug and it has power there also. The connector to the compressor itself has no power, so wasn't sure if there was a switch that I need to check
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Does your model have the automatic settings for temp control or manual controls?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Manual
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

In your battery junction box fuse panel does the WOT relay click when you have the engine running and switch on the ac?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't hear it clicking. My test light shows power there and I tried a new relay there also.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,you should have power at 2 terminals at this relay.One will have power at all times key on and off and one power with only the key in the run position or engine running.Do you have both of these powers?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that is correct on both.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,your engine computer is not energizing the relay then.It will do this when it sees a fault with an ac component or another component on the engine that requires disabling the ac like to much of a load on the engine or a faulty power steering pressure switch.

Have you checked to see if there are any codes set in the engine computer at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not since my check light hasn't been on.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It will be tomorrow before I can do that..
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

If you can get the codes checked this will help to see if there is a reason the computer is disabling the ac.It can be a fault with an ac cut off switch as well needing replaced.The cut off switch is shown below.You can try to disconnect it and see if the ac works.If it does not try jumping the two wires together and see if the ac works.If it does work then the switch should be replaced.If it does not work at all then I would have the codes checked as this will help to locate the fault.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0falamjbstsejiu/ac-09-13.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try that and check codes also and reply tomorrow. Thanks for now
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Your welcome