Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Adding a remote start to my 08 f250 and looking for a few

Customer Question

adding a remote start to my 08 f250 and looking for a few wires. "starter kill relay" "tach wire for reading RPM" and "Park/neutral safety wire"
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 71,000 mi, yes it has been starting fine
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am doing it myself. I am adding an advanced key ignition and proximity sensor along with a window module
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: all wires are hooked up except those three. I can not seem to locate them
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

I'll get you the wiring diagrams but you have to let me know which engine came in this, is it an auto or manual trans, is it 4wd or not.

Plus, what do you mean by "starter kill relay"? Is that something aftermarket you have cause I don't know of any starter kill relays, maybe the starter relay is what you want.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Can I assume since you are looking for a park/neutral safety wire, that this is an automatic transmission?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have the 6.4l engine. Auto trans, 4WD. The starter kill relay is a relay from remote start module that can be set one of 2 ways referred to as either "ground when armed" or "ground when running" that is all the info they give for installation. The relay is designed to either to send a ground signal to disable the starter circuit when alarm is triggered, or send a ground signal to an immobilizer bypass to allow the vehicle to start without the original key present in the vehicle
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Here are the starter circuit wiring diagrams,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

The PCM uses the crankshaft position sensor (CKP) to measure the engine RPM. The PCM sends the instrument cluster (IC) the data over the high speed controller area network (HS-CAN) communication bus, to command the tachometer gauge according to the data.

As such here is the engine wiring diagram with the crankshaft position sensor wiring and the instrument Cluster Circuit.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

One more,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

was that everything?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I use the CTO as a read of engine rpm. If so where is it found. It looks like it is solid blue.
What is the safety feature on the starter that will not allow the truck to be started with out the key?
In short I have the wiring diagrams already and slo e they do not help me.
Where do I find the neutral safety wire and what color is it so I can connect it to the start module?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

What is a CTO?

It is most likely the security system that prevents the starter from working without the correct key but without just a normal key, the starter relay.

Neutral switch? It should be in the wiring diagram with the starter. Is this an automatic or manual trans, cause I know I asked you before.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Now I have to let you know that I am not a Diesel tech.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

I think at this point you should tell me the brand name and model or part number of this item you are trying to install so I can see maybe what their instructions read and what you might be missing cause it seems they gave you close to nothing to go on.