Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just purchased a 2008 f450 with 68000 miles on it. I drove…

Customer Question
I just purchased a...

I just purchased a 2008 f450 with 68000 miles on it . I drove it home over 150 miles. I came to a stop off the exit ramp . Turned on to my road home and the truck would not shift into 4th or drive. I pulled over put it in park started over again and it shifted fine. later that evening left my drive and it done the same thing. pulled over put it in park and it shifted fine. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

Should be the same as the truck everything is original. 2008 68000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F450 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just purchased it today.Looking for suggestions.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/13/2017
Ford Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer. my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help.I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your notes and have a few suggestions.

Diagnosing electrically controlled transmissions can be difficult and overwhelming, so you have to start with the basics first. There are some things you can do yourself and others need to be done by a shop. The first thing is to check the condition of the fluid, I will supply you with a chart to do so.

The other thing you can do is a transmission fluid flush, as if this is do to a sticking shift solenoid or shift valve , this may help clean it out . Have a shop check for any trouble codes that may be stored as some of the cheaper code readers do not have the capabilities to read all codes in the drive-train.

As this seems to be at the moment an intermittent issue it may be hard to locate if electrical but doing those items I mentioned will either resolve the issue or eliminate some of the possible causes. It may also be the safety neutral switch , check the battery and charging circuit as all electronically operated devices need a good constant power source to operate . Do these tests and proceedures and get back to me if you need further help.