Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It will not crank or start. Turn the key and nothing

Customer Question
It will not crank...

It will not crank or start. Turn the key and nothing happens. Battery and alternator are new. Took the starter off and it tested ok. When I put the starter back on it started several times and ran fine. After sitting for a couple days it will not crank or start again. Same as before. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Yes it is in park. Not sure about wheel lock. It is an XLT Eddie Bauer edition.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1997 Explorer XLT Eddie Bauer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tested the starter. It test ok. When I put it back on the car started. 2 days later it will not crank or start

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
9/12/2017
Ford Mechanic: Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician replied 9 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician

Hello, I am Randall. I can only send my ideas as not there looking but let me explain.. you handled the starter to take and have tested, This invlocved bumping it around etc. I am thinking and near 80%? the starter is bad, handling a starter removing and reinstalling can bump the brushes lets say back into place and will in fact come back to life. Many meaning hundreds of times over the years a test for a starter going bad is to hit on it with a hammer. Most times this works then a day or two later? it no longer cranks. End results and summary? I highly suspect and feel you need a starter. I am sure you have seen or know or read about tapping on a starter if you have a "no crank" and it works. It passed a bench test do to bumping it around and now its back to same and need new starter