david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

2013 Ford Fusion wipers won't work

2013 Ford Fusion wipers won't work
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I realize you will need more information. Here are all of the things I've noticed with my wipers.1. Upon starting the car (wipers in off position) 50% of the time you can hear whining. If I attempt to turn on the wipers the noise stops. Most likely the wiper motor.2. Also upon starting the car (wipers in off position) the wipers "jump" or move up about an inch and come back down. It only does this once.3. When engaging the wipers sometimes they don't work at all. Most of the time they will come on. The driver side wiper will come all the way up and freeze. The passenger wiper will continue and go into it's normal off position. Sometimes I can nudge the driver side wiper with my hand and it will close. The wipers will remain down at this point even if they are switched on. Sometimes nudging the driver's side wiper doesn't result in it moving, but if I toggle the wiper switch, it will close.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site, sounds like the contacts inside the motor are shot, Do you have a way to apply 12volts directly to the motor?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't have a 12 volt battery or any kind of charger that puts out 12 volts. Any suggestions?

you can run a wire from the battery

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK I can do that.

ok, let me get you a diagram

hear you go

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. It's been storming here. Is it OK if I do this tomorrow and we continue then?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What do I need to test in this diagram? Do I need to just run leads to the motor? I know how to get to it. I'm not sure if you want me to test something in the diagram or physically on the motor. Thanks again.

just the motor, unplug it and put 12 volts to the motor contact 1 and the ground is 6

tomorrow is fine

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi David, I'm about to test the connections on the wiper motor as advised. Do I need to unhook the battery from the vehicle or simply run a line to the connections (as you showed in the diagram) while the battery is still connected? Once I have the wires in place on the motor, what am I looking for (movement)?

just run the line, yes movement

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i put the ground on metal and the indicated spot on the connector. I put a hot lead from the positive battery terminal to the other connector pin, and nothing happened.

do you have 12 volts on the violet/white wire of the connector?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was connecting to the pins directly on the motor. I didn't see anything with wires. If it's likely the motor is bad, I can change it out. It was easy to get to and take off.

i know you were checking the motor. i was just interested in power to the connector also

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do you want me to test the other connector to see if it's giving power? I have a simple tester, but it won't give me the voltage.

what kind of tester do you have? a test light?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

did it light up when you checked the violet white wire in the connector?

hows it going?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will check the voltage from the purple wire tomorrow and let you know. If that is getting power then I assume it's a faulty motor. Is that correct?

correct

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just to make sure I'm checking the right place today, you want me to check the battery side of the connect that plugs right into the motor? I didn't see a purple wire before, but I'll check. Essentially if I check all of the pins with my test light one of them should give me voltage.

yes and correct.

hows it going?

please leave a 5 star rating for me if you are satisfied with my assistance. just remember, by accepting the answer and leaving a rating doesnt mean we are done. im here to help you until the vehicle is fixed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi David,I rated you 5 stars. I went ahead and found a motor for $60. Is there a certain way to get the motor synced before putting on the wiper? I read elsewhere that you install the motor and turn the wipers on and then off so that you know the motor is in the resting position. Is this correct? Is anything else required?Chris

thats correct. but i will send you the procedure.

not much help here

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Got it. I took the motor off once, and it wasn't very difficult. Once I have the part and install it, I will let you know if I have additional Q. I have saved you as an expert to use for further inquiries.

ok, great. and yes, please let me know how it goes.