Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2012 f-250. each time at startup the ext temp shows

I have a 2012 f-250. each time at startup the ext temp shows -40* F it will eventually climb to a reasonable reading if you drive for a few hours. or I can make it read right by resetting it(holding the a/c and recirculate down then hitting ac again pretty quick). It isn't a huge deal but it would be nice to get it to read right from the beginning. another thing I've noticed is that sometimes it seems to freeze on one temp reading after I reset it. again not a big deal but annoying. any ideas?
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: not a/c related. the ext. temp readout on the dash isn;t reading correctly
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, not a lot.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: tried swapping climate modules, everything worked just as before, no good there.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

The diagnostics for this end with the temp sensor or the climate control to blame. Since youh ave already replaced the climate control that would leave the sensor to blame. Would you like the Ford diag steps for this concern to work over prior to purchasing more parts?

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I suppose that would be helpful, I guess I had a hard time believing it was the sensor due to the fact that it reads right as soon as it is reset. I can try swapping the sensor in the mirror with another truck prior to ordering one. Is there anything else I could be missing?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there anyway to check the climate module itself just to be sure the replacement by some freak chance didn't have the same issue going on?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK sorry I've been busy with work and cows. I went through the troubleshooting and really came back to being stumped. I can't think both climate controls I've tried have the exact same issue. And maybe the sensor is bad. The sensor checks 8400 ohm both directions at 80 deg f. I don't know if there's a manual that gives the correct reading but from what I've read that is close to right as fast as range goes. One thing that has me stumped. With the sensor unplugged the truck reads -40 at startup but when I reset it -a and recirculate gives me a reading and it was reasonably close. I'm going to double check wires tomorrow.

Keep in touch as needed

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just an update, After disassembling the door and mirror I found that the mirror temp sensor pigtail in the door wasn't even hooked into the door wiring harness, I think the mirrors have been replaced previously with non power / heated mirrors anyway. I've ordered the right mirrors with temp sensor and correct plugs for the door harness and hopefully this will fix my issue. I get power on the door harness pins when i work the power mirror switch so I think I'm good there. I still don't know how it would give me a temp reading with no sensor plugged in at all but I need to fix that first then we'll see where to go from there if that doesn't clear the issues up. Thanks for your help. - graham

ODD, please do keep in touch on the outcome.