Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Haven't done the exact math, but it seems like I'm down

Customer Question
Haven't done the...

Haven't done the exact math, but it seems like I'm down about 4 quarts this month v10

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

Topped it of at jiffy, down 2-3 qts took to mechanics, unrealated, 3weeks later said it was down 2 more .... 2005 limited

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have not done anything to it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just the oil missing... everyone check for leaks none seen

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

Just radiator hoses..... had accident about 2 years ago hit deer front end damage

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/12/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Is this a F 250 6.8 engine?

Has it been inspected to see if there are any internal oil leaks?

Are you seeing excessive smoke out the exhaust?

6.8

I see some some during ideal, It goes away

How about when you start it up after it has sat for a while, do you see it then?

Spell check lol... nothing excessive and no leak thought out engine
If I don't move I'll see it for about 5 to 10 min not 100 percent sure
It not a daily driver , so the miles will vary, but I'm at 119k

Okay if its not leaking any oil then it has to be burning it. If you seeing smoke on start up after is sets for a while that clears up after a bit that usually points to leaking valve stems seals on the heads. With the amount of oil you seem to be using you should see some signs of this on the spark plugs. Have you removed them and had a look at them to see if there are any signs of carbon build up on the tips of them.

It at the mechanic right now , They told me I was down 2 at, they didn't know I just had it topped off about 3+ weeks ago. But I never experienced this kind of loss

Okay I would start with having them check the valve stems seals by pulling the spark plugs , if the seals are leaking the build up on the spark plugs will face the same side as the valves. I would also have them make sure oil is not pooling in the top of the head and being sucked into the engine by the PCV valve.

Ok I will forward the info

Okay, that where I would start as well.

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.