Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2012 F150 radio was sent out for repairs due to not turning…

Customer Question
2012 F150 radio was...

2012 F150 radio was sent out for repairs due to not turning on. When I got it back, it will turn on but has no sound.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?

Yes, I checked the fuse to the amp. Is there another one that could cause this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself. Sent the radio in to be repaired for not turning on and that is corrected but now I get no sound. Actually sent it back to the repair shop after I got it back the first time with no sound. Same results.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
9/12/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

I can take a look at the vehicle wiring diagram, to see if there are any fuses or anything else to check but did the repair shop tell you that the radio does produce sound for them when they tested it?

Is this a base radio, bose, etc?

What engine came in this so I know I have the correct wiring diagram?

Repair shop said it is operating correctly. They actually replace the module(I believe) with a Ford part twice.It is a Bose unit with no navigation.It is the 6 cylinder engine.I did drive the truck for several weeks with no radio in it.

I see it as either wth or without Sony, is this an aftermarket Bose? If so, what was the oem radio?

I'm sorry.
It is the factory Sony with no Nav.

Ok, I see several fuses, here are the wiring diagrams. Check all of those fuses with a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light when they should be hot.

That would include the #9, #19, #29 and #23 in the BCM, a the right kick panel. All hot all the time.

It will be a couple of hours before I can check them.

Ok

All fueses tested good

I don't know how to diagnose this any further. I'll opt out.

Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 8 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Was it a dealership or an independent repair shop that did the repair?

Independent

Did they have the ability to program the new radio (ACM Audio Control Module)to the vehicle with a scan tool?

Not sure about that. They did use Ford parts.

The ACM is not just a plug and play radio. It is a self contained module that must be properly programed to the vehicle. It may work when first turned on, but after it resets, it will not produce any sound.

See the link below.

Does it have to be in the vehicle to program?

Yes it does. It shares information with other modules in the vehicle.

Thank you. I will take it by the dealership tomorrow.

All They need to do is program it, which should only be at the most 1 flat rate hour. If they want more, then go to another dealership.

Thanks.

Your welcome.

A. Penland
A. Penland