Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Idles rough not much pick but runs smooth was attaining

Customer Question
Idles rough not much...

Idles rough not much pick but runs smooth was attaining speed

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

1985 Ford LTD LX with a custom engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LTD yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced the EGR sensor and cleaned the EGR value and throttle body. Gong for the spark plugs next

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/12/2017
Ford Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 11 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

The things to check for that would be retarded ignition timing, vacuum leaks and engine compression. Most parts stores loan out the tools you need to test these issues too.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

I'm not sure about a vacuum leak. When not in drive it idles fine. When I'm hear she hesitates especially when ehgine heats up. My feeling is the plugs are fired

You can check the plugs, but that problem would always be there. Checking the items I mentioned is a great idea.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

Where would I check for a vacuum leak?
hat tool do I need
Sorry What tool do I need

Using a smoke machine is the best way to find internal and external leaks. You can only check vacuum hoses externally visually or with a spray bottle of water.

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.