Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 98 ford escort zx2 that died on me the other day…

Customer Question
I have a 98...

I have a 98 ford escort zx2 that died on me the other day while I was driving, it would start up again and run but very rough I but one gas line anti Freeze in and it fixed the problem untill the next morning I drove the car home from a friend house when I got home I parked the car and it wouldn't start, now it will only start every once in a while but when it starts it runs fine, it has spark and compression and I tested the fuel pump and it works but when I go to start the car I can't hear it go on. I'm thinking there's a bad connection somewhere between the battery and the pump but could it be a plugged fuel line causing pressure build up so the pump doesn't think it had to turn on? Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

I haven't tested the battery but it turns over just fine and all the electronics in the car work fine as well and no I have not but I was told by the previous owner the pump was changed by a shop about a year ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escort ZX2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am and I've tested spark, compression and removed the fuel pump and tested it from a 12v source and it worked fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The fuel filter is not plugged I checked it and also when the pump was still in the car after I tested to see if it would turn on when I tried to start the car (which it did not)the line leaving the pump had no pressure or gas in it so I left for about 30 min and when I came back I in plugged the line and it had pressure in it and gas poured out, also when I started the car with the pump hooked up and the fuel filter out of the car no gas came out of the line that is in the engine bay

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/12/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 9 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

When you are getting no fuel have you checked to see if at that time the pump is or is not getting power and ground?

No but how would I do that? Just use a volt tester while the car is on?

You would use a volt meter on the wires to the pump, but you need to do so when you have the key on and you are not getting fuel pressure and it will not start to see if this is why the car will not start, no power or ground?

No power at the pump... but the fuse isn't blown and I don't see any bad wires around the pump

Here are the wire diagrams.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0subf7xph7tcb8/FP1.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1s0wapn014slrmz/FP2.pdf?dl=0

When the key is on and there is no power to the pump can you confirm if there is or is not power to the inertia switch so we can see if we need to diagnose the pump driver module or the relay?

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

far I agree, I'll give u 5 stars! But can you send me the diagrams in in another format then dropbox? My phone's having trouble opening them

On your phone in the top right it should say direct download so you can open the files without the app. Also they will upload on a PC.

I got the diagram, and I will check if it has power tomorrow morning

Super

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris