Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1997 ford ranger 3.0l and I am not getting a charge…

Customer Question
I have a 1997 ford...
I have a 1997 ford ranger 3.0l and I am not getting a charge from my alternator to my battery it has a new battery in the truck and I had the alternator tested and it passed.. I'm not sure what's going on im thinking it's a wireing issue now but not sure.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/12/2017
Ford Mechanic: Anthony, Ford Technician replied 8 months ago
Anthony
Anthony, Ford Technician

Hello!

Do you have a test light or a voltmeter?

I have both

Ok, at the alternators small connector. With the key on does the yellow wire have power to ground?

Which connector would be considered the small connector there is 3 ports 1 is the big wire that's held on by a nut then a single wire plug and a 3 wire plug

right the small yellow wire that goes to the 3 port connector does that wire have power?

There is a yellow wire with a white stripe and yes it has power at the alternator plug

Ok, good does the big wire at the bolt lug have power too?

it does

Who tested the alternator?

Orielys tested it I bought a brand new alternator and still same results

Ok start the engine and tell me the voltage at the big lug again.

It is reading 12.1 volts the battery slowly drains when I have it running until it eventually dies

So the lug at the back of the alternator reads 12.1?

while running

Ok with it running check the yellow again. What do you get?

Same reading 12.1volts

Check it with the 3 prong plug hooked to the alternator and it running or did you do that?

Yeah everything is all hooked up and plugged in and I tested the yellow wire it reads 12.1 volts while running

Ok, because you just verified all the wiring is working as it should. The alternator even if its new or your original one is not working

I had the alternator tested and it passed I'm just not understanding why the charge is not getting to the battery I thought it is suppose to read almost 14 volts when running

Does the 3 pole connector appear to be damaged in any way?

Plug and prongs on alternator look fine

At the prong for the yellow wire does it have 12 volts?

It is reading 12.4 on the prong for the yellow wire

Ok this is different. Start the engine. Hook one end of the voltmeter to battery negative at the battery. Hook the other end to a clean spot on the engine. The reading will be very low but I need to know exatly what it reads.

It went to .1 then would just read 0

You have tested all of the wiring. It all passes.

i don't have a wiring issue? So what could cause it to not charge the battery

Wiring is perfect. Even the connector. Theres nothing else to do except get a good alternator...

Switch alternator brands maybe one from NAPA

I've had the alternator tested and it passed with the original and the 2 I bought from orielys all passed
Ford Mechanic: Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician replied 8 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician

Hello, backing up, with key ON only. does the charge light come on the dash?, if so what happens after you start the engine to the light?

The charge light does not come on at all
Just a voltage gauge reading very low

Did the LIGHT ever come on in the past with key on? Yours should have a light as well as a guage as you mentioned

The last time I drove it all of a sudden it died as the battery had drained and it right before it died it started beeping and the battery light came on
It's not on now but did come on when the battery drained to the point it dies

so the light DID work just prior to this problem correct?

I still want to reconfirm... does the light come on with key ON only, NOT started and running?

The truck was having this problem when I got it but when I drove it a month ago s when I did see the battery light
The light does not come on at all now it might if I drained the battery like what happened the last time I drove it

sorrry. its important to know, forget with it running etc, go to the truck, turn key to ON only, does the light on dash come on for the battery.charging?

No it does not

The thing is the LIGHT MUST work with key ON position only. If the buld were to fail OR the fuse for the light blow? the alternator will NOT charge, The light must work with key ON> If it is not? then need to check bulb as well as fuse # 15 a 7.5 amp fuse in the INSIDE fuse box. Lets say the fuse blew? it will NOT charge. If all is ok? then go to parts store and get a new plug assembly. They are sold aftermarket, Plugs were a big problem on these. You said you tested and changed alternator so lets rule that out, Its either the bulb? fuse for the bulb ? or the plugs which you can buy easily at most any parts store. Here is the wiring diagram link I have attached. I promise without the light working with key on? this indicates a problem with bulb or fuse and by regulator design? it will not charge unless light is in working order,. Hard to explain

Ok I will be pulling my dash apart tommorow to check the bulb the fuse is good

sry for the delay. I would be sure you have 12 volts to the fuse and change fuse just to be sure . LMk thanks

Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician