Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I accidently added too much auto transmission fluid to my

Customer Question

I accidently added too much auto transmission fluid to my 1989 F150 4WD. How can I drain out a little?
JA: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?
Customer: Changed about 10 years ago, but that I have only put 20,000 miles on it since then. The Transmission has a minor leak.
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The fix was to add more transmission fluid. I did that and added too much. Is there a way to drain out some fluid?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

The easiest way is to crack a cooler line loose at the cooler or radiator if that is where it goes, start the engine let some run out, shut off the engine, tighten the line and check the level.

Then repeat if not enough came out or add fluid if too much came out.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.