Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My map lights will not shut off, The lights on the bottom of

Customer Question

My map lights will not shut off
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The lights on the bottom of the rearview mirror on a 2002 T bird
JA: What is the model of your '02 Ford?
Customer: Convertible
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just checked fuses but that shuts down the night driving lights
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thats all I can think of at present
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your map lights are controlled by the front electronic control module.This is a ground signal that is grounded by this control module to turn on and off these lights.This ground signal is one wire that splices off and feeds the other interior lights that come on and go off when the door is opened.This indicates that if all other lights are coming on and going off like they are suppose to that the front electronic control module is o.k. and that the issue is a grounded wire leading to the map light assembly.

you will have to check the wiring leading to the map lights for any wires that have rubbed through and are being grounded by the body anywhere.You may have to pull off some interior trim to inspect to see if you can locate where the wire is grounded then it can be repaired from there.Usually it will be grounded some where near the map lights themselves.

Below is the diagram of this system here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/69g7qmkoca3vi1r/m-09-11.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete