Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

The transmission wont engage. The shift lever moves, fluid

Customer Question

The transmission wont engage. The shift lever moves, fluid is good
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: 01, no leaks
JA: What is the model of your '01 Ford?
Customer: Tarus
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes fixing it myself. I've checked the fluid and fusses. All are good. No leaks. I'm kind of thinking it's the electrical box that the shift linkage hooks up to
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was driving it and it just stopped working. Ie tranny wouldn't engage
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Check and record the transmission fluid level after the engine has been off for at least 10 minutes. It should show overfull. Now start the engine and check the fluid again. It should drop down to the normal zone. If it does not drop or only drops slightly then the drive gear in the torque converter for the front pump is stripped out and the pump is not turning. The torque converter will need to be replaced and the pump driveshaft will need to be inspected.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.