Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Rear fuel tank reads on gauge but free flows into front

Customer Question
Rear fuel tank reads...

Rear fuel tank reads on gauge but free flows into front tank, if full causes fuel to spill out of front filler tube, occasional hard starting especially if warm from running

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Still gets average mileage 15-17 mpg

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '15 Ford?

1992 ford f150 xltlariat

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing tried yet but advice, fuel switch relay is what I've been told so far, but no real testing done

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
9/11/2017
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

There was an old TSB out on this, Ford was putting check valves in the lines, The problem is the check valve on the front pump isn't sealing the front pump when it's not in use, I would put a new front pump assembly in the front tank and that will fix it. Go with Delphi or Motorcraft. Nothing cheap from China. Here is the tsb on it. You may call a Ford dealer and reference this O1M05 number and see if they still make that check valve that is referenced in this TSB, but if the front pump is old which I suspect it is, I would just go ahead and put a new fuel pump assembly in it. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

SUBJECT: Owner Notification Program 01M05 - All 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1993 Model Year F-Series Vehicles equipped with Dual Fuel Tanks and 4.9, 5.0, 5.8 or 7.5 Liter Engine - Fuel Cross-Flow Extended Coverage

OASIS:
Yes

OWNER LIST:
Yes

PARTS RETURN:
No

PROGRAM TERMS:
This additional coverage program extends the coverage for potential fuel cross-flow to 12 years of service or 150,000 miles from the vehicle's warranty start date, whichever occurs first. This coverage will automatically transfer to subsequent owners. If a vehicle already has more than 150,000 miles, this coverage will last until December 31, 2001.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

All 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1993 model year F-Series vehicles equipped with a 4.9, 5.0, 5.8, or 7.5 Liter gasoline fueled engine and dual fuel tanks.

REASONS FOR THIS PROGRAM

A very small number of the affected vehicles may experience a cross tank fuel flow condition due to a damaged check valve in the fuel pump/sender assembly. Fuel may be supplied from one tank and some or all of the unused fuel may be returned to the other tank. Should this occur, the capacity of the receiving tank may be exceeded and fuel may overflow from the filler cap.

SERVICE ACTION

If the customer reports a fuel cross-flow condition:

A. For vehicles with either 93S68 or 00S57 open in OASIS:

Perform 93S68 or 00S57 (whichever is open.)
Release vehicle (No 01M05 action required.)
B. For vehicles which do not have 93S68 or 00S57 open in OASIS:

Check the fuel pressure and inspect for kinked lines; correct as necessary.
A new external check valve will be installed between each fuel supply line and fuel tank. (On chassis cab vehicles, the rear fuel tank will receive a new Fuel Delivery Module instead of a new check valve.)