Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have 2006 ford explorer Eddie Bauer, my ford does not have

Customer Question
Hi I have 2006 ford...
Hi I have 2006 ford explorer Eddie Bauer
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my ford does not have audio control on the steering wheel how I can add audio control? yes, I am doing this by myself
JA: How has the car been driving lately?
Customer: it is great
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is all
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
9/11/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So what system do you have in it now and what came stock in the vehicle?

I did not understand the question.

what radio is in the car now and what radio did it come with new

The current radio is Branded AM/FM/MP3/6 CD In Dash, With NAAO Radio Frequency; For CDX6 With MP3.
I want to add Audio control on the steering wheel without changing the radio

do you have the model number for that and is it bluetooth?

here is the ford part number 18806A
it does not have bluetooth.

so you might be able to do that, you would need to change the steering wheel but first we need to check the connectors behind the air bag and the back of the radio to make sure its integrated in the harness, if the connectors arnt there you will need different radio for the function, but even if the harness is there the cost of the wheel and controls would be as much as a new radio with the functions in it

I have bought a used wheel with audio control.

ok well next you want to see if the harness will accept the new controls or not and if the radio has the wires going to it, on the back of the radio is 18 grey yellow and 19 blue white those are the 2 that go to the steering wheel

do you have a digram for wire or connector pin

just a worded list and pin numbers with wire colors

can you share it

on the pin location there should be small numbers on the connector on each end and you can find the pin location accordingly

I will check and get back
the pins and wires are exist on the radio harness

well that should do it all you have to do now is pull the air bag and check the harness there and you should be ok

should be purple on 10 and red/white on 11

Where should I check those pins exactly

there should be a harness behind the air bag somewhere

see if you can connect them to the new wheel and if the controls work

I will do that and update you, but do we need to do programming for the radio?
I have connected it but it did not work
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician