roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I have a 1955 crown vic with a 292 engine When weather is

Customer Question

I have a 1955 crown vic with a 292 engine When weather is hot the engine overheats and vapor locks After cooling down it starts up a runs fine
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: noleaks
JA: What is the model of your '55 Ford?
Customer: no leaks and coolant level is ok
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: really haven't trie anything. Just had the car about a month. It has been completely restored
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no it runs great when the temp is cool
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 1 month ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 1 month ago.

ok, first, I would have the thermostat checked to be sure it is opening when hot. also, is the radiator new??? if it is the old one it may be clogged.

as far as the engine, once you get the heat down the vapor lock should go away. there is only 7 lbs of fuel pressure to the carb and when engine get hot, it will cause the fuel to boil.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 1 month ago.

do you need any other help???

Expert:  roy replied 1 month ago.

Please take a moment and rate my service 5 stars so the site will pay me for my efforts. We only get paid when you accept our answers

Roy