Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 f150 5.4 I start the truck it runs fine then as it

Customer Question
idles it goes up and...
2004 f150 5.4 I start the truck it runs fine then as it idles it goes up and back down and then starts to die out
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/10/2017
Ford Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 11 months ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

is the engine light on? any codes? any vacum leaks?

No but I just bought the truck and put new cats and pipe and the guy I bought it from said it was doing this because it needed cats
No vacuum leaks best I can tell how do you test for vacuum leaks

and it has no codes? spray areound with carb cleaner when ya hit the vacum or intake leak the idle will change

No just Im monitors not complete I will scan it again
The battery had to be replaced it was dead and shot

yeah if ya run it for a little while im sure it will kick a code..if it hasnt allready

Bank 1 and 2 lean po171 and po174

thats a vacum leak check the elbow at the pcv valve its on the rear of the engine

I will in the am it's dark and rainy

any luck?

No luck just sprayed around the intake and vacuum lines no change

you locate the pcv valve... ? if the pcv hose is not leaking then next step is a mass sir flow sensor