Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

It wont start. Friday, driver came in. Been running/starting

Customer Question

it wont start. Friday, driver came in. Been running/starting fine all day. But he tried to crank it, all electronics operate as normal, but nothing when turning key. is that starter, or relay, or fuse? Cant jump it, batteries are fine, i just dont know where to start troubleshooting
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Its in park. neutral does the same thing, wheel is not locked
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2010 f-250 diesel 6.4
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: its immobile, so trying to fix before asking for tow to mechanic. We
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: we've tried jumping, but still nothing. Just turn the key, and can hear fuel pump mechanism start, but no turn over, etc. unhooked one battery to see if it would reset, but did NOT unhook both, apparently.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

From what you have described here this sounds like a fault with the starter itself.The starter will act up or fail internally like you see here with it needing replaced for this fault.What has to be done is to have the main power and ignition power tested to the starter to see if for sure it needs replaced.You should have power at the small wire at the starter with the key held in the crank position and power at the large wire at all times at the starter.If you have both of these powers then the starter needs replaced.If you are missing any of these power signals let me know.

In some cases you can have someone tap on the starter while you try and start it and if it starts then this indicates the starter needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete