Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 Explorer - Kepad stopped working. Does not light and…

Customer Question
2005 Explorer - Kepad...

2005 Explorer - Kepad stopped working. Does not light and pressing 7/8 and 9/0 together does not lock doors.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?

Fuses all good. Other switches on door are fine and work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Doing this myself. Door panel is off, inside noise mat peeled back, keypad removed. Wire harness from keypad to door harness ohms out ok. +12v getting to red wire when checked to black or ground.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Wireless remote fob works ok.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/10/2017
Ford Mechanic: davehop, Ford Technician replied 11 months ago
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Hello and welcome to JA....the keypad is shorted internally...replace the keyless entry keypad.
Replacing the keypad, and the wiring harness from the keypad to the first connector, did not correct the problem. If not the keypad what needs to be checked next? Can you identify the wires on the harness to the keypad and what voltage and/or signals should be present on them? Where module does this wire harness run to? Where is this module located? What can be done to verify that this module is working? Are there any codes that can be checked using a simple OBD scanner?

IF YOUR SCANNER CAN COMMUNICATE WITH THE VSM...VEHICLE SECURITY MODULE, YOU CAN TRY TO SCAN IT FOR CODES, DO THE DOOR LOCKS WORK FROM THE REMOTE AND/OR THE DOOR LOCK SWITCH ON THE DOOR.