Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 99.5 F350 7.3 diesel turbo and I'm changing the…

Customer Question
I have a 99.5 F350...
I have a 99.5 F350 7.3 diesel turbo and I'm changing the turbo and need to know what else I should change when I'm in there obviously the wastegate actuator but anything else? Owner wants to stay stock cuz employees drive the truck if you know what I mean
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/10/2017
Ford Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

check that the oil feed and drain pipes are free flowing and not blocked as this can happen on older fords whicg then staves the turbo of oil

also wash out the intercooler as it may be full of oil if the previous turbo had a failed oil seal also check that the dump / recirculation valve is working

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

I'm really disappointed that I didn't get an email or a text that you had answered my question the only reason I found it was because I was looking for an answer to my dad's car. And I have a couple questions d oil lines and return line that you're talking about is that the two that go through the turbo pedestal and which one is the Dump recirculation valve is that the valve in the pedestal or is that the valve on the back of the turbo
is the wastegate actuator connected to the dump valve that you mentioned and if it is how do you test that to see if it's working before I reinstall it. Is there a rebuild kit for that?

Hello

there should be a pair of oil lines, 1 feed pipe ( small diameter) and 1 drain pipe ( larger diameter) the feed pipe is usually the top one and that comes from the engine oil gallery to flood the turbo bearing with oil and the drain then runs back to the sump or crankcase

just blow through each and visually inspect to check neither one is blocked

the dump valve is on the turbo boost air (post compressor) side its there to blow off or 'dump' the excess boost pressure you get when you close the throttle ( like just before a gear change)

the important thing with a dump valve is that it seals properly when its not being operated if the valve has a torn seal or a broken spring then it'll blow off before it should and you'll lose boost pressure

this video shows how you can test it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXRaGg06m7s

as for the wastegate then this is on the exhaust side and 1st thing to check is if the wastegate 'penny' or flap can be fully seated

if you remove the wastegate actuator and then look inside the turbo exit you'll see the wastegate penny moving back and forth as you move its arm if you smear a little grease or engineers blue onto the face of the penny and snap it shut and reopen it you shoudl hopefully see the seal line all around the penny

if thats OK you can then test the wastegate actuator with compressed air to check its opening up this shows if its going to be able to control boost

this video shows how ( from about 2 mins in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=178&v=NN1Hs3L0YYc

and to check the spring ( is it blowing off too early) you need a spring balance or some other method of measuring the spring force as shown in the previous video

Ford Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?

Matt, Engineer