EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

2010 Lincoln MKS - doesn't start - when I open the door I

Customer Question

2010 Lincoln MKS - doesn't start - when I open the door I get the dual chime - when I shut the door the chimes stop... I press the break, press the start button and I get the starter sounding like its attempting at about half power - I cannot move the transmission to neutral so I am concerned about whether I can get it out of the garage for a tow...
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: No I haven't but I am pretty sure it's ok because all of the lights come on when attempting to start although no instrumentation gets displayed like normal...
JA: Are you fixing your MKS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

It sounds like you have a weak battery. A lot more voltage is needed to turn the starter then to light up the instrument cluster. I recommend the first thing you do is to try and get a jump start or charge the battery and see if that helps. If so you can move out of the garage and possibly even get it running. Can you try that and let me know?

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate . Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Eric

Sorry I am unavailable for a call right now. That is an ad from the website.

Can you try charging or a jump start?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No - unfortunately...

Ok. Do you have AAA?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No - do you think a tow will be problematic because I can't get it in to neutral and its parked head first into the garage?

It may be an issue. But sometimes the tow drivers will have a jump box on the truck and they may be able to put it on the battery and get enough juice to take it out of gear or even start it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do you think a battery issue is most likely?

That is what it sounds like.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Eric!

You are welcome. Please take a quick moment to rate my response time. THank you.

Hi. Just checking in to see how you are doing and if you have made progress or need more info. If so just respond back. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.