Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner at Baltic investments
99232115

Shifter moves but will not engage, fine last night, good

Customer Question

shifter moves but will not engage, fine last night
JA: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?
Customer: good question,not sure
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2004 ford taurus
JA: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i am, just checked to see if linkage moves, it does
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So if your linkage is moving and the selector is in the right position you would want to check the fluid level and see if there are any trans codes in the computer, do you have a check engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
did that, fluid is fine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no thanks,and no service engine light

have you been having shifting issues? or any other problems before this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
about 6 months ago, didnt like to go in reverse,but for the last 5 and a half months its been fine, and like i said last night was fine, this morning nothing

have you tried all the gears down to low and reverse and no movement at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no movement in any gear,is there a fuse?

there are fuses that control the system, but you should be getting some sort of codes for that, it wouldnt hurt to do a full fuse check with a volt meter to see if there are any issue there,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is there a small pin on top of tranny that holds the cable?

it should be a bolt that holds it to the switch

Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 19 days ago.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Shawn.