Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Coolant leaks at rear of engine. Engine not run for last…

Customer Question
coolant leaks at rear...

coolant leaks at rear of engine. Engine not run for last several days so no pressure in engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?

No visible hose leakage.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1984 F-150 5L V8.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I used to, but we lost everything in a fire & truck has had problems since (about 20+ feet from house when it burned). Leak is lower than heater hose, My brother-in-law suggested freeze plug?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes. Cost of answer?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
9/10/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

rent, borrow or purchase a cooling system pressure tester and with the engine cold, radiator full, install the tester and pump the cooling system up to 15 psi. The leak will be a lot easier to find with pressure behind it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Added 2 gallons of water to system this PM. Just checked. Not down much. Will have to wait until tomorrow to rent pressure tester.

Ok, once you find the leak, if you don't know what it is, post a photo if you can.

I assume you cannot rent a tester on a sunday...

Did you rent the tester?