Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We have a 2001 Windstar, it is trying to start but not

Customer Question
We have a 2001...

We have a 2001 Windstar, it is trying to start but not completely. we have found fuse 15, 19, 22, 25, and 28 are not working. not sure what this means. re

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

We have a new battery in it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Windstar yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, Testing all the fuse and relays in engine compartment,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We blew a freeze plug in the frre

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/10/2017
Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 11 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site.you blew a freeze plug in the what?

2001 Windstar, rear side of engine, drivers side near fire wall

are the fuses inside or under the hood?

The fuses 15,19,22,25,28 are inside
are not working

ok, so theres no power to them, please standby

We got it to start after replacing the plug, but it started leaking antifreeze from overflow so we shut it off and replaced the radiator cap. We have not been able to get it started since then and we are going on 3 weeks

ok please standby, this is going to take a few

What do relays 2, 3, 5, and 6 power up on the inside fuse box? Do they power up fuses or something else?

They dont have power either?

The relays are good. I found out that relay 1 powers 2,8,3 and relay 4 power 1,7 and 12 by other research, now i am trying to figure out what the relays power up.

if you blew a freeze plug in the rear of the engine, you had coolant spill on a few components that im sure is causing the power loss to those fuses. this is going to take some doing here.

what is your suggestion of what we do next? On fuse 25 and 19 where do they power from?

please give me some time

Ok thanka

19 is being powered by the ignition switch

25 is also being power through the ignition switch

We have tossed around that maybe it's the ignition switch? But then my husband kept reading online that wiring has been a issue too.

absolutely can be wiring. but, was the vehicle starting before the freeze plug blew?

we were driving home on the freeway.
We know it's late and can wait for more responses tomorrow or monday. And give you time to research

ok, if it happened when driving, its not going to be a wiring problem unless the wiring shorted out from getting wet and melted and took out a major fuse under the hood which is what i think happened

Are speaking of a fuaible link? We have been checking the fuses under hood in fuse box and nothing has come up.

you need to check fuse 105 under the hood

Ok we will check it tomorrow. Please let us know if you think of anything else.
If we find the fuse is good by testing with test light. Is it suppose to have power constantly or just when we try to start it. My husband forget to mention it turns over but want completely start.
Thanks

hot at all time

all of those fuses that you said didnt have power to them, did you check them with the key on?

we did. Is there a way to check the fuse it is a different type I can see the copper thru the plastic earlier when I had that fuse out. It doesn't look broken. Where does 105 get power from the battery?

yes it gets power from the battery bus you should be able to see if the fuse is blown by looking through the top.

We will double check that fuse tomorrow. Would the anti theft in these cars have anything to do with it? do these cars lock up when they break down like this? If so how do we unlock it?

does the theft light go out when cranking the engine?

then its not anti theft problems

do you have rpms when cranking?

Ok. Where does the hit power wire come from go that goes to fuse 105?

theres a large red wire that goes into the fuse box from the battery. that wire is attached to the battery bus which feeds all of the main fuses

Ok. We will check that out. We are checking out for the night. please let us know if you think of anything else for us to check
Thanks for your help

ok, you're welcome

hows it going?

We got power to fuse 105 and took it out and checked it.
Any other suggestions on what to check
Fuel pump relay, 30 comes on with test light with constant power, when i try to start 86 comes on. This is probing from where relay goes into.
Do you by chance have a layout of transaxle range sensor terminal guide. On the electrical connector, we have a couple reading zero and up with key on. Our book does not show us a clear picture.

sure, please give me a few while I help 2 other customers. thanks

Take your time. Here is another request. I need to know where the wires go to and from the plug to the fuse box inside the car. I have been testing the wires and some have power and some do not, even with the key on. Is there a diagram or chart? I think it would be a big help.

some fuse wont have power unless the component is turned on. i.e. headlights, parking lights , taillights, etc....

hows it going?

No luck yet. we have been checking wires like crazy that go to the ignition harness. The 2 reds and 2 blue green wires all have power. If I am Looking at the paper I have right, when I probe the white/yellow (ignition wire)and black/green (accessory wire)wires should they have power when I turn key on? When I actually try to start it should the green wire(starter wire) have power? I haven't tried the last 2 questions yet, I am just logically thinking. Where is the other end of these wires?
On the layout diagram fuse panel that has 25 & 19 fuse it has #5 on top where is it coming from?.

from the ignition switch

There is several wires and plugs coming into the inside fuse box, which one goes fuse 19 and 25?

in position 5 of connector c201

I just realized that you need to try to start the car to get fuse 25 and 19 to work so I try to start it and I put a test light on it and I see them light up. I have been checking the transmission range sensor and number 2 and 12 are getting 0 volts and 3 was 5.0 volts the other the rest were like 9.2 volt so from what I was reading those are normal so I think it's problems number 12 or number 2.

I agree

Do you know if those are linked to a wire or a fuse?

i need to look at a diagram

please leave a 5 star rating for me if you are satisfied with my assistance. just remember, by accepting the answer and leaving a rating doesnt mean we are done. im here to help you until the vehicle is fixed.

Is there a way to test the transmission fluid temperature sensor with a ohm tester? We are still not getting the Windstar to start.

let me see

scroll down to pinpoint test B

I have checked the sensor, not the connector: (harness) and I am not getting any volts between 5 & 9. Is this correct? We are trying to see if the sensor is good or bad.

Im going to open this up to the others. Im out of ideas here. Dont reply back or it will take the question off of the board. good luck.