sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

2006 mustang v6, started car, idled at about 750 rpm, a

Customer Question

2006 mustang v6, started car, idled at about 750 rpm, a little missing, in-dash temperature gauge varied a little in normal range, turned heater on and in-dash gauge bottomed out and car stopped running. Turns over but wont start now, strong smell of gas.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: it started normally before I turned on the heater, this is my son's car so I don't know about the gas mileage.
JA: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will take it to a dealership for repair, I was trying to see if the thermostat may have been installed incorrectly. My son had a coolant leak fixed about a month ago. I started it up and let the car idle until the in-dash gauge got up to operating temperature and observed the holding tank, there was no flow through the holding tank.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

No, the thermostat being installed incorrectly won't be a concern. If it was installed incorrectly then it would have been overheating within minutes of starting the engine, every time the engine was ran, starting when the thermostat was installed. The thermostat being installed incorrectly couldn't cause the no start condition or the temperature gauge to drop as you saw. It will require some testing to determine what is wrong but it sounds like you may have a bad coolant temperature sensor causing the gauge issue and the engine to run extremely rich.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!