Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford five hundred fans will not turn on at all

Customer Question
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/9/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 11 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Can I get the year model?

Is the car overheating?

Does the fan come on when AC is used?

The cars on 05, motor & trans I just put in from 06.. it eventually over heats cuz the fans don't kick on & they turn on when a/c is on either
Tested continuity to pcm , found I missed a plug in the back of engine, but I cannot find where to plug it in at
they do Not turn on when a/c is on either

At the fan, confirm the black wire is ground. Confirm the light green/violet wire is power.

PCM connect pin 14 light blue wire should pulse power to the fan when the fan is being commanded to run.

Can you check those?

That connector you have shown me a picture of, it looks like a dummy plug because there wires to one side and a connector plugged up on the other side but no wires there.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

I checked fan to pcm- no power.. fan to c110- had power.. pcm to c110- no power

You cna not test the PCM to fan power wire with a volt meter nor test light, it pulses to fast for those to read. If the fan has power and ground on the wires I mentioned and the wire to the PCM the signal wire is not broken and has no continuity to power nor ground then the wire is not broken. A scope needs to be used to see if the PCM is commanding the fan on. If not then the PCM is bad.

Okay.. do I have to bring to dealer to scope?-- & I have the pcm from the 06, although it has a different number on it~ can I have it reflashed?

A dealer can use there oscilloscope to test it but some other shops can do that as well.

When it comes to swapping pins there is no chart or book to say what will work in place of another. It is pretty much a try and and see thing but yes programming would be needed.

If I take the ignition & cluster out of the 06 to match the pcm , engine , trans .. would that work ?

As long as you swap the keys as well it should work.

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris