Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1999 Ford Ranger will not turn over. Work for ever, then…

Customer Question
My 1999 Ford Ranger will...
My 1999 Ford Ranger will not turn over. Work for ever, then all of a sudden. I turn the key and 1 click. If I hold it the light will go off, and another click and the lights come back on. I checked the relay, wire to the starter.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/9/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Check for a blown IGN fuse in the battery junction block, located left rear under the hood.

If it is ok, try a new starter relay located in the same battery junction block.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

That didnt work.

What didn't work?

Did the fuse look good?

Did you try a new starter relay?

I checked the fuses, they are not blown. and replaced the starter relay.

Ok, you actually should be using a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light and testing both sides of fuss, simply looking to see if they are blown is something you do when broke down and don't have access to tools.

Also, put your finger tis on that starter relay and feel for sure that is what is clicking when the key is turned to start,

The click comes from inside the truck. That is the sound it makes when, the dome light goes off then back on.

Ok, then check the other fuse, #24 in the behind left side of dash in the fuse junction panel.

here is that 1999 Ford Ranger 4.0L Eng VIN X Starting Circuit

Put a new fuse in, just in case I was blown and could not tell. Didnt work.

try a new starter relay and if you want to do any further testing, get yourself a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light. Most multi-meters will have the voltmeter also, just make sure it has a low DC scale like around 15 DC volts.

I put in all new fuses, and it still does nothing.

What about the new starter relay?

I put in a new starter relay. I know it works cause I also tried it on a Ford Van I have.

Do you have a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light yet?

When you do and are ready to test, remove that starter relay and test those terminals in the empty socket, 1 should be hot all the time that comes from that ignition fuse, ten when you turn the key to start a 2nd one will be hot from the ignition switch, that fuse #24 and through the neutral safety/clutch switch.

I have a volt meter, will check it out in the morning. I work 2nd shift, so wont be able to do it till then.

ok

Well Mike, I still cant figure it out. Have done all you might have thought. I am lost.
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago

You have to tell me the results of your tests or I won't be able to help you!

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician