Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I've got an '07 ranger, 4.0 V6. just replaced the

Customer Question
I've got an '07 ranger...
I've got an '07 ranger, 4.0 V6.
just replaced the alternator, battery and belt. I've got it all back together and wired up but i'm only getting 12~V out of the alternator when testing with a multi-meter while the engine is running. I've had the alternator tested on a bench and it passed with 14.7V output. I've checked continuity from the main lead/stud coming off the alternator to a ground/negative terminal and it's saying it's a closed circuit. Does that mean I can elimate the chances it's a fusible link causing the issue?
I've been told the issue could be with the exciter/field wire connection as the battery light is still illuminated even though the battery is fully charged. Any advice on how to test that exciter wire/ the other 3 wires coming off the connecter from the alternator would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Kevin
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/9/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 11 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you don't understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

Have you checked the inputs to the back of the alternator?

If so, what were the readings?

HiCustomer I have tested them yes but i'm not sure if i'm doing it correctly. what is the proper way to test them?

You can use a voltmeter or a test light

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

i've got to disconnect the plastic wire connection on the back of the alternator? the one with 3 wires running into it?
Do I do it with the engine running?
Do I test with the ignition in the 'on' position?

This is done with the key on.

Ok thanks.
Do I leave the negative lead connected to the battery while performing this test or no?
Should I also test the single 'exciter' wire as well as the other 3 wires?

YES

and

YES

Ok.
red wire: 11V
purple wire: 0V
grey wire: 12.6Vexciter wire: 0V

What color is your exciter wire?

Kevin,

Are you there?

Both red wires have power on them correct?

correct yes. but the voltage out of the smaller gauge red wire seems to jump around. what should the V output of that smaller red wire be? and what does that wire do?

That wire should have FULL battery voltage on it. The alternator needs this circuit hot in order to charge.

is there any way to test continuity of this wire? if so how?I'm starting to think there might be a break in that red wire somewhere along the line hence why the voltage is like 7-10V

YES, you can do a continuity test on this wire. It would be the same way you would do a continuity test on any wire. With your voltmeter testing from one side to the other.

There is a fusible link further upstream on this circuit that I bet is the problem if there is low voltage on this wire. Look near the battery for this fusible link.

Ok I will test for continuity shortly. one probe where the red wire meets the connector to the alternator and the other to the + terminal of the battery?

YES

Kevin,

What were the readings of the ohms/resistance test?

2.5-3 ohms...
and when on test mode it is saying it's an open circuit. no good.
you think the fusible link for that wire is shot? if so, is there just one in that circuit?

Based on the information you're providing me, yes.. it sounds like the fusible link is blown.

The voltage tests failed, but the ohms test passed. So I am not exactly sure.

However, yes, there is only one fusible link.

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>