kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

2005 Ford Taurus flex fuel 55,000 miles. Push Rod fell out

Customer Question

2005 Ford Taurus flex fuel 55,000 miles. Push Rod fell out Valves and Springs look good on that cylinder. pulled head and no sign of Seat problem. How is that possible? Hydraulic lifter is in the up position. I pushed hard on it and could not collapse it. Rocker arm bolt tight. ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: How can push rod fall to the side?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: all of a sudden it started running bad. 150 compression on all but number 5 cylinder. that was 65 pounds compression
JA: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I found the reason for the dead cylinder was push rod fell out.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Has he ever seen that before? Push rod is totally straight. not bent.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

Most often this happens due to a valve that is sticking. If the valve does not fully close then there is to much air gap between the rocker and the push rod. This can be hard to diagnose as heat is what causes the valve to stick. Cold it may not have any trouble at all, but once it warms up the metal expands and the valve sticks open.