Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 09 ford fusion that was throwing a p0720 code. I

Hello I have a 09...
Hello I have a 09 ford fusion that was throwing a p0720 code. I changed the OSS sensor now the speedometer doesn't respond until about 2nd or 3rd gear. When it does start working the check engine light comes on and the wrench light comes on to. Only problem before i changed the sensor was the engine light. I'm confused did I do something wrong or did I miss something here?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on
JA: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I even put the old one back in....same results
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It has the 2.3L 5 speed automatic
9/8/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

When you got the code did you do the diagnostic procedure for the code or just replace the sensor?

I did research on the OSS SENSOR to because I had never heard of it before.
I checked the wires to see if it was shorting anywhere. The wires were fine and in good condition.

well you have a pcm or wiring problem with that code if your sensor is ok, I would just run though the diag procedure again and that should tell you whats going on

Ok but I don't understand why before I changed the sensor all I had was the check engine light. But now after changing it the other other problems are occurring when they weren't there before.

did you get a ford sensor?

motorcraft
I even put the original back in and the same problems stayed

Have you tried to do a full vehicle reset and drain all the power from the system and try again ?

If you're talking about disconnecting the battery 4 for a period of time yes I did
Left the battery unplugged for about 30 minutes
If there's another way to drain all the power from the car please let me know and I'll do it LOL

it may also be in the connector, I would check the connections, it sounds like something isnt connected properly, if your having the same probs with both sensors, and getting more probs after installing sensor, thats seems most obvious thing, and then if thats not it, its checking wire ohms to pcm after that, and when you do the battery disconnect I usually touch both cables together to drain any remaining voltage that could be causing issues, also is this a car effected by salt?

No salt...... I'm in Mississippi and a vehicle search before I bought it showed that the car was in Texas and Arizona before
I'll check the ohms to the PCM what should the ohms read
I'll buy contact cleaner and clean the connectors to

so if you dont see any visible surface rust grounds shouldnt be a issue and I would check the connectors, the ohms should be less than .005 with both connectors undone, your just looking for a broken wire, ive seen that happen in harnesses before in the wire loom or casing itself with out any visible signs of damage

Ok I check over it again. If I need you for more assistance I will contact you again thank you

sounds good ill be around!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician