Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1999 ford windstar bank 2 lean

1999 ford windstar bank 2 lean
9/8/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Have you done anything to try and resolve this issue yet?

you helped me with this a month ago I had replaced the front O2 sensor and the code returned but the engine light stayed off until the day before state inspection 324 miles I have reset it and will try and get it to inspection as soon as it say good to go would having a smoke test help at this point

Thought I recalled helping you before. Went a lot further this time around. I think a smoke test is a good idea at this point. Occasionally I have seen the rear O2 sensor cause the issue, but honestly it's pretty rare. If you don't find a vacuum leak on the intake on bank 2, then it may be the answer. If the rear sensor is reading rich, then it will tell the computer and the computer will tell the front O2 sensor to lean the system.

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
its bank 1 now should I change the other o2 sencer

So you are getting a bank 1 now instead of bank 2? If that is the case then I would say yes, however if both banks are showing lean, then it's possible you have some kind of mass air flow sensor issue.

just bank 1 now It passed inspection

Ok, good to hear it passed. I would say yes then, go ahead with the O2 sensor, but if you get lean codes again, then replace the mass air flow sensor. It seems like we fixed bank 2 with the O2 sensor, so this should resolve it.

Thank you for the rating!

mass air sensor is on the air intake

Yep, that's the one. Sometimes they read wrong and will cause the lean fuel mixture codes, normally it affects both sides of the engine which is why I am a little bit concerned it's moved over to the other bank.

what about the three o2 sensor and is this Bosch 15716 Oxygen Sensor right one

Which engine is in it? I can't remember! sorry

3.8

I am coming up with the Bosch 15664 for the upstream O2 on bank 1. Looks like it's the same sensor for bank 2 as well.

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician