Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Flare delayed shift 1_2 & 4-5, roaring in 4th before the

Customer Question

flare delayed shift 1_2 & 4-5
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: roaring in 4th before the shift
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: roars
JA: What year is your Ford?
Customer: in 4th before and just after the shift to 5th
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: had a reman put in and it still acts the same
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: flg_mlusfm
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Can I get the year, make, model, and engine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just replaced it a week ago06 ford explorer xlt 5r55s 2wheel dr

This transmission is known for concerns with all gears and shifts except 1st and 4th. There are 2 bands that are used. Overdrive band is engaged for 2nd and 5th. Intermediate band is used for 3rd gear. These bands are applied by a steel servos that moves in and out in the aluminum case to apply and release the bands. Since these bands get worked alot and often abused from not engaging and releasing in time. This results in the servo working a groove into the case causing the servo to stick closed or open or in the middle thus affecting the band tension and the shift and gear. Your issue is the overdrive band. An overhaul is needed so the bands can be replaced and the servo bores reamed out and bushing installed to fix and resolve this concern.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you didn't read
you didn't answer
i just put a remaned trans in it they said they did all the updates

I did read that you just replaced the transmission. I have no clue where you bought your trans, what there skills are or what they actually did to the transmission. Did you purchase this remanufactured transmission from Ford? Does it have a warranty? Have they tried to fix it? Are there codes stored?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are no codes stored the only thing I did see is that the torque converter disengaged due to slippage aside from that the transmission was purchased from powertrain solutions it has a three-year warranty he has gone to forward their transmission person said he cannot figure out what's wrong with it unless he takes it out of the car and does a diagnosis that specific way and one and charge me $800

That is the problem when dealing with aftermarket companies. There warranty is just not in the consumers favor. Yes a Ford remanufactured transmission is more expensive but the warranty is superior. They will tow it and fix it for free parts and labor. Since there are no solenoid codes I am 100% sure the band or servo or servo bore is at fault. This is not the first time I have fixed this concern nor dealt with an aftermarket rebuild done poor. From 02-07 90% of my paychecks at the dealer were from the Ford explorer transmission and rear axle. I have 3 lifts and 3 flat stalls and would have SUVs stacked up and waiting for these repairs.

I am sorry you are in this situation.

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris