Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1964 mustang and starting back firing a while back so it was…

Customer Question
1964 mustang and starting...

1964 mustang and starting back firing a while back so it was put away for a while now started to working on it again and the carbartor kept flooding gas just running out of it,so replaced carb with new one still doing the same thing replaced fuel pump still same thing new fuel filter same thing replacedc distribtor needed one the coil and starter soliod still wont run if it tries to start it spits and wont take you pushing the gas pedal no good, i was thinking could the head or values or cam be damage or broken not allowing the gas to be processed to run? have not removed value cover yet to see if cam broken or values wanted idea before i do so on next off day? can you help? thanks....

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your car been stalling?

Wont start the back firing just started one day then the results are what i explained wont start but before no stalling?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes new fuel pump, new carb, new fuel filter, new distiribtor, new coil,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it sweat one thanks and god bless you.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2017
Ford Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 11 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Fist be sure that the dwell/points are not closed up. Also check to see that the timing is correct. Be sure you have a good strong blue spark at the plugs.

If these are all good, then check engine compression with a gauge.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron