Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 f250 with 6.0 power stroke diesel... I had a bad

Customer Question
2006 f250 with 6.0...

2006 f250 with 6.0 power stroke diesel... I had a bad injector that I recently replaced. While the top end was dismantled, I decided to go ahead and replace various sensors and regulators,install a new oil cooler, new egr cooler (not delete), egr valve, opt regulator, and brand new factory turbo (new, not rebuilt). After the repairs, the truck ran like brand new for about a week. Then all of a sudden it started hesitating badly at acceleration and blowing black smoke. The check engine light came on and I checked the code, it was p1099, turbo under boost. Not sure what could be causing this. Bad sensor or something? Loose wire?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It's all above. After the new issues, I've only looked at it. Yes I'm fixing myself.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
I have waited long enough... give me my money back!
I meant to say p0299 code. When it starts to act up, I can hear the Vgt solenoid actuating, it sounds the the vanes are opening and closing. What would cause this?
Answered in 9 days by:
9/17/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 11 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, since the turbo is new it could have a blockage in the intake manifold for the egr system that delivers exhaust flow back up to the turbo. Yes the VGT can be an issue but they tend to set a seperate code if that is the case. Remove the egr valve and verify the intake is blocked up with carbon build up. if it is, it will need to be removed to be cleaned. There could be a possible defect with the new turbo, but you need to verify the vgt is working properly and check exhaust system flow to the turbo.

Intake was just removed and cleaned when I replaced the oil cooler, new egr installed.
When I disconnect the batteries and clear the code, it will drive fine for about 10 minutes, then it will start acting up again....perhaps because the engine warmed up?
Hello??

This is the actual pinpoint test for the P0299 code

None of that mentions the Exhaust back pressure sensor as the possible cause, can I rule out the EBP sensor?

That is part of the boost test. You want to do a sensor rationality check with the key on engine ff, the EBP, MAP and BARO sensor should all read the same. If one is different, replace and retest, You can also remove the EBP and make sure the pipe is blocked by running the engine with the sensor removed.

What is the BARO sensor? How do I read those sensors?

With a scan tool capable of reading the live sensor data. They should all read atmosphere pressure with the key on engine off. If one is out of spec, it can cause this issue, all 3 read the same not running. BARO is part of the Mass air flow sensor

I don't have a scan tool, any other way I could verify a bad sensor? I did replace the EBP sensor and pipe when I did the repairs. Is there a very high probability that the new sensor went bad already?

That is possible, you really cant play guess work when it comes to the diesels, You need to have a scan tool to do much of anything or you will be just hanging parts.

Do you need more help at this concern?

I pulled the egr valve to verify that there is no issues in the intake. I also swapped the egr valve with the original to see if there was any change, there was not (original egr valve was still good). I installed a new map sensor as well, no change. I have no choice but to throw parts at it because I don't have a scan tool, was just hoping you could point me in the right direction for the next part....

You could have a defective new part/issue with the new turbo. if its a Ford turbo, it would be under a parts warranty. A scan tool is needed to diagnose this issue, it would be worth spending the $$ to have it diagnosed properly as it might be a freebie at this point if a new part is defective. Ive seen impeller wheels on turbos fail and get lodged in the downpipe for the exhaust, causing a exhaust restriction

If it's a bad turbo, I'd be curious why it seems to run perfectly fine after the codes have been cleared and it's been sitting for an hour? It only starts acting up after driving ten minutes or so. Then it starts with hesitation, a fluttering sound from the engine that sounds like its gasping for air, and then severe hesitation with black and white smoke. Does a faulty turbo explain that? If so, I'll head that route, but I don't have the option of bringing it in for diagnostics because it is 60+ miles from any dealership and no tow trucks come up here, at least not for cheap!

White smoke is coolant, are you loosing coolant and did you replace the egr cooler with the oil cooler? Bacl smoke could be from running rich or loading up. No idea exactly what to tell you without a scan tool, you dont have other codes? How are you pulling the P0299 code with no scan tool?

Got the 0299 code from using the scanner at the parts store when it first started acting up. Unfortunately, it will no longer make it to the part store. I did replace the egr cooler but I am not losing coolant and there is no fluid in the intake beneath the egr valve. I was under the impression from reading on the forums that the white smoke was unburnt or inefficiently burnt excess fuel. I don't smell any coolant either, I just smell fuel. Does any of that help?

Gray smoke is fuel, white smoke is coolant. I cant help you any further, you will need to run another diagnostic check on this truck at a minimum. I will opt out and let another expert help if possible, but they will most likely suggest having it diagnosed before hanging any parts.

Once again you guys leave me hanging.....