Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

There is an issue with the air condition vent system on a

2004 Ford Taurus wagon. It...
There is an issue with the air condition vent system on a 2004 Ford Taurus wagon. It was blowing air through the front vent,
but now it blows through defrost vent. Sometimes it blows through the front vents then automatically
switches to the defrost vent with the A/C switch set on A/C.
9/7/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, when the ac blows out the defrost vents, this is because the vacuum supply line that goes to the climate control panel looses vacuum supply. It defaults to the defroster. Either there is a leak in the vacuum hose coming off the engine and going inside to the dash through the firewall, or there is a bad check valve in the line or a cracked vacuum tank for the supply system. Inspect for leaks and repair the line or if the line looks ok replace the check valve or vacuum tank if broken. The tank is inside the right front fender well, behind the black plastic fender skirt. Pop it off and inspect the system.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Not now, will check and get back with you another day, thanks.

Ok this is your problem, if you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to rate the question, so I get credit for helping you

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
I found a broken vacuum hose under the hood that goes through the firewall. Do you have a diagram that shows the vacuum system so I can get a part number? The vacuum tank looks OK.

Hello, vacuum hoses dont have part numbers, its just hose you cut to ft to the system. Replace the broken secton of vacuum line and retest its operation

OK, thanks.
You are welcome. Thank you
HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans