Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

Simple question I hope. I have a F150 and my Service engine

Customer Question

Simple question I hope. I have a F150 and my Service engine is on and has been on for sometime. In AZ if the light stay's on the you don't expected. What is or should I look for? I am good at fixing things when its need, but I am not sure where I need to start. Any idea?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: Not sure what you mean. Or maybe I should ask that is a trouble code. But I would say no on both.
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Ford Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What year is your F150?
Customer: It's a Food 150 Model year 2002. Thanks
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fixing myself most likely not. I have not nothing Mostly because I am not sure to look for it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is it. I have no trouble with the truck. That is the only, ever with the truck or the other food truck I have had.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Just to be clear, the truck is running normally even with the light on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the truck rune well the only problem if their is one is the Service engine light stays on (on dash). The truck if fine other wise. Is that any help
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Well, some help. it usually means the issue is with the evap system and nothing going on with the engine.

What I think I would do is have the code read or get a code reader and read the code. This will help get to the point of what needs to be tested. For example, the code could be a P0455 which is a large evap leak. Then you look at the gas cap and the vent control valve as possible causes.

Most of the larger parts stores will check the codes for free. If you want to have the codes read and then post them here with me I can certainly give you more details on the situation.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

I hadn't heard back from you and wondered if you needed more help with this or not?