Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Runs too hot generally then goes way hot at a stoplight or

pulling up a hill. it...
runs too hot generally then goes way hot at a stoplight or pulling up a hill. it is a 1977 F250 crew cab with a 460
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: radiator is full, coolant is clear
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: installed a fan duct (must have had one originally), aftermarket fan with an extra and larger blades
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just added Fitech EFI
9/7/2017
Ivan Alvarez

From what you are describing it sounds like an air flow problem or plugged up radiator. Are the fins on the radiator core free of debris?

the fins are clear. The radiator itself was replaced in about 2000. While that sounds like a long time ago, the truck only has about 25k since then. I think it is a three row. Not positive the tubes are totally clear, radiator still looks pretty new on the outside. maybe a flow check would be in order. I just hadn't had any reason to suspect reduced flow. Would you know if there is much benefit to an aluminum 4 row radiator from a brass 3 row? Overheating has always been an issue with this truck. What diagnostics would you suggest, Ivan? thanks, ***** *****

I​f you can get your hands on a thermal temp gun it would help. It could point it at the radiator to get temp. readings from different points on the radiator. If you get to a point where the temp drops significantly that would indicate a restriction. To answer your question about the radiators the 4 row aluminum radiator would be better than the 3 row bras. Aluminum dissipates heat a lot faster.

Sorry, Ivan, I tried to reply earlier but there wasn't a means like what I am using now, this blank I'm filling in, to do so. Thanks for getting back to me by email. I will try the temp gun to check the channels in the radiator. Will need to find one to buy, don't have one on hand. Also my truck is in the shop getting headers and new exhaust. I don't think it was leaking but they said the headers might run a little cooler, have a coating on them that is less emissive than the cast iron exhaust manifolds. At one time I tried electric fans but that was ridiculous, drew so much current, jerked those out and went back to mechanical fan and shroud. No fan clutch, fan blades are flexible and flatten out at higher rpm, one more blade than OEM. Good fit to shroud. Not long ago I had a super bad heat problem that turned out to be a lobe on the cam worn away, valve not opening and exhaust blowing past rings into crankcase. god I hope that isn't happening again.

O​k let me know how it goes.

Ivan Alvarez

Any news?

Ivan Alvarez
Ivan Alvarez
Ivan Alvarez