Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Every time I turn the key to start the engine it blows the…

Customer Question
Every time I turn...

Every time I turn the key to start the engine it blows the 30amp starter fuse...I changed the strter and changed the alternator and checked all the wires. If I disconnect the starter wire from the Bendix in the starter and turn the key it seems like something resets and it will start every time...so far. do you have any idea?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

...no wheel lock feature but yes a steering wheel lock feature...its a 2004 f250 SD with a v10... It just started doing this out of the blue last week...I tried park and neutral...I also turned the engine to see if it was the flywheel...the starter doesn't even turn over...it just blows the fuse...

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I'm fixing myself so far...I can get it to start if I disconnect the starter wire to the fuse box, turn the key (it seems to reset something), reconnect the starter wire and it starts every time

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that covers it...Thanks

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/7/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 11 months ago
Ivan Alvarez

Welcome to just answer. Can you send me your vin number so I can look over some wiring diagrams.