Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Put a new flexplate in and now if the starter is bolted up

Customer Question

put a new flexplate in and now if the starter is bolted up the engine wont turn
JA: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?
Customer: no... the starting system works fine the motor is locked up, i cant even turn the motor over by hand. if i take the starter out i can turn the motor over just fine
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2014 ford escape 1.6
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. not much just taking the starter out
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When you replaced the flex plate did you get the correct part number?I have seen in the past where an incorrect part number is ***** and can be slightly larger then the one that was in it and causes it to hang up on the starter.Also if installed back wards this causes this issue as well here.I would double check these to see if the incorrect flex plate was installed as well as that it is installed the correct facing direction.If this is all o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i got the flex plate was from ford and the flex plate says engine side
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Can you post the part number or find out the part number for me.There are 2 different options.If they sold you the flex plate for the 2.0 liter engine instead it is incorrect.The part number you need is CV6Z6375C.If they sold you part number 1S726375C that is incorrect and is for the 2.0 liter.Let me know when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no i told ur helper its a 1.6
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,but I have seen parts employees accidentally order in the incorrect flex plate.Is there any way you can get the part number on the one that they sold you.

If the starter is the same starter it has always had and the flex plate is installed properly the only thing I see that will cause this is the flex plate built incorrectly by the company that builds them or they sold you the wrong one.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
cv6z6375c is the part number
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Does the starter bind when trying to install it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

It has to be that the flex plate is to large.The manufacturer either mis boxed it or made it incorrectly.If you know for sure it is installed properly and the starter is the same starter since it is binding on install this usually indicates the flex plate is to large causing this issue here.This is the only thing that can cause this here.You may want to contact the dealer and let them know that the starter does not fit properly with the new flex plate you installed and they can contact their supplier to see if there are any recent issues with this or to see if they can measure a new one out of the box to see if they had been misboxed.

Thanks Pete